WATCH D.O.G.S. is not just for dads. Fathers, grandfathers, and double greats; brothers, uncles, and bigs: we need you! Watch D.O.G.S. training is virtual. After your volunteer application clears, we will send you the link.
What is Watch D.O.G.S?
Watch D.O.G.S. is a volunteer opportunity for men to make a difference in the educational lives of children.
The two goals for our Watch D.O.G.S. as stated by the National Program are:
1. Provide a positive male role model for students, with our presence demonstrating that education is important.
2. Providing an extra pair of eyes and ears to enhance school security and reduce bullying.
K-6 | 8:00 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
7-11 | 8:00 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
K-6 | 8:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
7-11 | 8:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
How Do I Become a Watch D.O.G.?
The 4 steps to be a part of the Watch D.O.G.S. are:
1. Become an approved volunteer through the school: https://responsiveed.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=6080
2. Get trained: email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you would like to be part of the Watch D.O.G.S. We will send you the link to our training video; watch it!
3. Get a Watch D.O.G.S. shirt: these are available at dadsofgreatstudents.com for $15 to wear on your day!
4. Sign Up For Your Day(s): once you are approved, trained, and dressed, you are ready to go! You can use the online sign up to pick as many days as you like.
What Does a Day Look Like?
7:15 a.m. arrive ahead of carline
Check-in at the front desk. Your child(ren) can be with you at check-in and then head on in to school once the carline starts moving.
Receive your schedule for the day from the front desk.
7:20-8 a.m. Help with carline. This means helping with car doors and providing a warm welcome to help students start their day.
8 a.m. Report to class. There may be things like helping in your child's classroom, helping with lunch, monitoring hallways, helping with recess, afternoon carline, etc. This will vary depending on the day; sometimes your child's class will be taking a test and there is not a lot to do, while other days will find them working on a project and being grateful for some extra hands. The best motto for Watch D.O.G.S.: Be Flexible!
* If you are asked to do anything that makes you uncomfortable for some reason, please let the staff member know. The teachers and administrators are great to work with and will be understanding. They are trying to give our Watch D.O.G.S. opportunities to join in, so take advantage as you are comfortable! *
4:00 p.m. The day ends (as soon as the main rush from the carline is done). Be sure to check out with the front desk, who will sign you out. They will also provide a computer for you to take an online survey through the Watch D.O.G.S. website.
Limit using your phone use during the day. Texting or talking during a class is a distraction and is the opposite of what we are trying to do as Watch D.O.G.S.
Do not take photos of other students, as some of our students have asked to not have their faces on social media.Wear a Watch D.O.G.S. shirt! You can find them here: https://dadsofgreatstudents.com/general